Wednesday, May 11, 2005

A little taste of heaven right here on earth

A couple of weeks ago I attended what some would call a spiritual retreat, what others have called an elderly sleepoever and what still others may perceive as a casting call for "Golden Girls Live 2005" at Lake Barkley State Park in Cadiz, Kentucky. To give you an idea of the group I was with I will let you know that it was a toss up between me at 23 and another lady's great-great-great grandaughter at 5 1/2 months to see who was the youngest person there.

kentucky

I live in Bowling Green in central Ky and Cadiz is located in western Ky, so I had to travel about 2 1/2 hours. This means that while on my way to beeyootiful Lake Barkley State Park, which shall be called heaven on earth in all future references, I had to pass through lots of small towns. Now when I say small towns, I'm talking towns where men are men and sheep are nervous.

road sign 2b

After finally reaching heaven on earth, I had time to relax and take pictures of the lake that was right outside my window. Then my mother, grandmother and aunt showed up. This was what I had been waiting for, if only for the fact that I was being given the opportunity to GIVE MY MOTHER A MOHAWK. And not just any mohawk, I got to give her a BLUE MOHAWK. As soon as they were settled in the makeover began. And IT. WAS. AWESOME.

mom rawking the mohawk

For those of you who don't know the coolness that is my mom, she is not really a mohawk kind of gal. So needless to say, I don't think she was too excited about the mohawk.

bird and mom

But honestly, who cares if she liked it or not? It was freakin' awesome. That night was one of the funniest that I've spent in an entirely sober state. And while she may not have been feeling it at first, she eventually gave in to the awesomeness that was the 'hawk.

e and t

All in all, the retreat/sleepover/casting call at heaven on earth was a lot of fun. I got to see my mom act like a rebellious teen (I'd like to think that she learned from the masters of rebelliousness: my sister and me). I got to see two old guys catch fish, throw them in the dirt and let them flop around until they died. I got to swing on a swingset which is something that I haven't done in years. And I got to spend time in prayer and praise in a roomful of some of the most spiritual and Godly women I've ever met. GOOOOOOOOOOOO elderly sleepovers at heaven on earth!!

No comments: